Cambia Tu Vida – Change Your Life Citizenship Campaign
On December 10, 2013, Catholic Legal Immigration Network, Inc. (CLINIC), National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials (NALEO), and Catholic Charities Los Angeles, Inc. launched a unique public service awareness campaign to encourage the more than one million eligible lawful permanent residents in the Los Angeles area to become U.S. citizens. The campaign, supported by and featuring Archbishop Gomez and Cardinal Mahony, asks permanent residents to change their lives and to accept the rights and responsibilities of citizenship in this country.
Working with several other partners, Catholic Charities Los Angeles will host citizenship workshops and take individual appointments to help lawful permanent residents apply for citizenship.
Can I Become a Citizen?
To qualify for naturalization you must:
- Be at least 18 years old;
- Be a lawful permanent resident (green card holder) for five years (three if married to a U.S. citizen);
- Have made the U.S. your continuous home for five years (three if married to a U.S. citizen);
- Have been physically present in the U.S. for at least half of the five years (three if married to a U.S. citizen);
- Pass a test on speaking, reading and writing basic English;
- Pass a test on U.S. history and government;
- Have good moral character; and
- Understand and accept the oath of allegiance to the U.S.
How Can I Make an Appointment?
We encourage you to attend a group application workshop to complete the necessary paperwork to apply for naturalization. To find out about the next workshop near you, make an appointment or find out what you need to bring to a workshop call 1(855) 6-CAMBIA. Or call Catholic Charities at (213) 251-3545 for an appointment.
I Want to Help
To volunteer with Cambia Tu Vida, go to: http://cambiatuvida.us/voluntarios.
For more information go to www.cambiatuvida.us.